Monday, December 9, 2013

Everyone is Right: One of the Most Important Things I've Learned


I've learned many things in my life like walking, doing multiplication, how to nicely ask mom if we can go out to ice cream, but  in the past few years I've been learning a lot more about people, life, and what I really value. This summer, my friend and I were driving around and she turned to me and said something somewhere along the lines of "I had a mind blowing experience". Knowing her, it could have been anywhere from "I sat on the sidewalk with a homeless man and we played kazoos together' to "Everyone in the entire world is right". The latter is what she spoke to me, as if she was sharing a nugget of wisdom. That quote has really stuck with me and has answered many of the random philosophical questions that run through my head as I try to sleep at night.
 The thought of everyone being right was humbling to me. Before, I had the mindset that a person maybe wasn't necessarily wrong... but my view was better.. more right. But now I can see, even if their views on life are different than yours, they are right. Even when they call you wrong.. or if they don't agree when you call them wrong. I don't think that anyone is trying to hurt anyone or offend anyone. Everyone is living life to the best of their abilities. So I don't believe that I have the right to say that something they are doing is wrong when they are doing it with the best of intentions and to the best of their knowledge. If someone says I'm wrong when I think I'm right I have to realize that I need to be the bigger person and let them think that.
  It's important because it lets me see the  big picture, it lets me get into deeper conversations, it opens me up to different views, and I come out with a better attitude about myself and others. I think that its important to understand where other people are coming from and seeing that they are only doing whats right, like I said, to the best of their abilities. It bring people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment