Tuesday, November 26, 2013
What is High School For?
Throughout my 13 or so years of schooling, including high school, I feel like its all been leading up to this wonderland place called college. You know, the place everyone asks you if you're going? Elementary school prepares you for middle school, middle school prepares you for high school, and high school prepares you for college, college prepares you for a career, and careers sort of determine the rest of your life. So I guess high school is just a step in the process of life. I think high school teaches.. or at least its taught me, time management, organization, responsibility. Basically skills that I will always need, and along the way I have learned some math theorems that I will never use again, dates in history that I'll never be quizzed on, and pages of science texts book that will never be relevant to me. An important class that I took was a communication class in middle school where all we did was learn good social skills (like making eye contact with people who are speaking, clapping after a performance, how to not monopolize a conversation) and have conversations. We would talk about anything that came up or sometimes used questions to prompt conversation like "If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?" It brought the class close together and made the teacher our friend too. It created an open and judgement free environment. We all knew it was safe to talk about the good things and the bad things, because what happened in communications class, stayed in communications class. And I think that everyone should have a class similar to that. It was a good break from all the science, math, English, and history. Elementary, middle school, and high school, would benefit from a communications class.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment