"How I Learned to Program Computers" by Feross Aboukhadiejeh was about a long term learning experience that took place over the course of years where as "How I learned to live Google-free" by Joshua J. Romero talked about an experience that lasted a week or so. However, they both split their writing into different stages or 'steps' and went into detail within them. They both made it very clear on when they were changing subjects. I think this will be good for me to remember when I write my own narrative because it will help keep my thoughts and ideas organized.
Because Aboukhadiejeh's piece was in response to a question that many people were wondering, he focused on his readers and talked to them directly. He went into detail about his own experience but also gave a lot of advice to the people who were asking. I don't think Romero's purpose was to give advice as much as it was to tell of his own experience. These are both different approaches that I could choose when thinking about what the purpose of my writing will be. I liked how Aboukhadiejeh was talking directly to the reader. It made him seem connected and friendly.
Both pieces of writing start at a point in time when the writers have no knowledge in a certain subject and then describe their triumphs and struggles chronologically, then resulting in a new and probably never forgotten skill. I want to choose a learning experience where there was a tough patch but I came out a more enlightened person.
hey, great background!
ReplyDeleteI like how you used compare and contrast the two essay--it helps the post flow nicely and stay clear~
ReplyDeleteYour opinions of these educational narratives are very interesting, and made me rethink what I thought about them.
ReplyDelete