Self learning is my favorite kind of learning. If you are learning something by yourself then that must mean you have a passion for that subject and it becomes something you look forward to doing. And Malcolm really did look forward to reading.
"At one-hour intervals the night guards paced past every room. Each time I heard the approaching footsteps, I jumped into bed and feigned sleep. And as soon as the guard passed, I got back out of bed onto the floor area of that light-glow, where I would read for another fifty-eight minutes—until the guard approached again."
He mentioned how books can be freeing and that's what must have really hooked him. Being in jail, he must have felt trapped and reading and writing could take him to new places and new times. That's one of the reasons I love reading.
Malcolm must have been a great role model for many people that didn't have an education or even people that thought that they couldn't do something but wanted to. The fact that he went from a "street hustler convicted of robbery" to "one of the most articulate and powerful leaders of black America during the 1960s" was, and still is, quite inspiring.
No comments:
Post a Comment