Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Malcolm X vs. Mike Rose

Today I read Mike Rose's "I Just Wanna Be Average" and Malcolm X's "Learning to Read". I noticed many similarities and differences.
    Rose had more of a traditional education that Malcolm X did. However, that doesn't mean that Rose became a 'smarter' person. Malcolm X had drive where as Mike Rose seemed to float along and not be engaged in his schooling. It may have been due to how material was being presented. Malcolm took his education in his own hands and began learning for himself but Mike was in a somewhat mandatory environment, not as appealing for me personally. Although, they both came out as extraordinary people. Mike Rose, an author, professor, and award holder and Malcolm X, a powerful leader of black America during the '60s. 
    They were both 'educationally underprivileged'. They shared the fact that they were not given the same chances at education that everyone else was getting. Malcolm X was in prison and Mike Rose was put in vocational education. Because of this, they were treated differently whether it was, in Rose's case, getting bad teachers or in Malcolm's case, barely getting a teacher at all. Malcolm X was seen in a better light than other inmates because he was interested in reading and writing.
                                  "As you can imagine, especially in a prison where there was heavy emphasis on rehabilitation, an inmate was smiled upon if he demonstrated an unusually intense interest in books."
                                                 -Malcolm X, "Learning to Read"
Mike Rose, I think, wasn't seen as having much potential because he was in vocational education He said that the students there are put in 'dead end' classes. I think that's a terrible thing to do, not give students an equal chance at great teachers and great classes. Even if someone is in a vocational school or even prison, they should not be looked at as less because everyone has potential to succeed somewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment